Saturday, June 26, 2010

Successful Cheating in Weight Loss

Here's something to pause and reflect on so you can manage a bit of "cheating" more effectively in those social times ahead this summer and maybe still lose a little weight. As most of us would agree summer holidays, graduations, picnics and other special occasions are the best time to plan your cheat meals and maybe take a little break from the tighter weight loss weekday plans.

My personal mantra suggests to just cheat a little one day a week if you have to, as you still have six other days to be more strict. Just don’t allow one day to turn into more than that. And don't cheat if something just sets you up for an all day binge ultimately leading you to weight gain and frustration when it comes to facing the scale come Monday morning.

So don’t go crazy here, choose your cheats carefully, making them really "mindful" treats for yourself, whether a barbeque or wedding. Maintain your regular meals when ever possible and plan ahead. Make sure you get adequate fruits, veggies and protein earlier in your day. Fats and carbs will always be available anywhere you are. Save those for your cheating events.

Readers how do you “cheat” and still lose weight?

2 comments:

  1. Good question, Elaine. Simple answer: I don't.

    I'm a compulsive eater, and I can't have those "little cheats." A little would turn into a lot, and then there'd be no going back, so I just don't let myself get started. I belong to a program that helps me manage my compulsion to overeat, and gives me tools to help cope with stressful food situations like weddings, parties, family gatherings and the like. It took many years of pain, but I learned that I just cannot eat like other people.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too can still be a compulsive eater. I admire your tenacity. with food you have to learn for yourself what works and what doesn't. I hate deprivation so over the years of pain too, I have learned that most of the time I can can do moderation.

    ReplyDelete