Saturday, November 13, 2010

Seminar Findings on Food Addiction

Recently I attended a continuing education seminar from the Institute for Natural Resources for Health Professionals called “Food Addictions, Overeating and Mood Swings.” What amazed me in that there was so much debate about the fact if a person can be really “addicted” to food.

As a former compulsive eater and having been overweight myself I  thought..... what difference does it really make with over 65% of our population overweight now,   new statistics  suggesting that by the year 2015, 75% of the population will be overweight and that 41% will be obese! But I digress….

Apparently the similarities between a real drug addiction and food addiction were extremely similar, but according to Mark Gold, Chief of Addiction Medicine, McKnight Brain Institute at the University of Florida, defined a food addiction as:
-Eating too much despite consequences, even with dire consequences to health
-Being preoccupied with food, food preparation and meals
-Trying and failing to cut back on food intake
-Feeling guilty about eating and overeating

Readers please share your thoughts on this with me. I’ll share more interesting findings from this conference later in the month..

No comments:

Post a Comment