Thursday, October 14, 2010

Don't Go it Alone

This is a rather lengthy story below but I think it proves a valuable lesson in terms of how important support is IF you are willing to overlook your pride or embarrasment and really allow people to help you when you need it the most. It's written by Jason Garcia, a motivational writer.

"Back in college I, like every other freshman on earth, talked about backpacking through Italy. I talked to friends, I talked to family, I talked to myself. But for all my talking, I didn't do a bit of traveling.

I was like everyone else who reaches the edge of comfort. I was scared. I hated to fly--still do--didn't speak a word of Italian, and hadn't a clue where to begin. So I thought, and I talked, but I never did.

That all changed when I talked to Curt, an up-for-anything roommate from California. A few months later we were stepping off a train in Rome and into the clutches of a scam artist waiting for unsuspecting tourists, but that's another story.

The point was that all my talking didn't do a thing. It was only when I included someone else that my plans began to roll.

Here's what happened...

Anticipation exploded: When I told Curt what I wanted to do, my excitement surged. We were like a father and son playing catch, tossing ideas back and forth for hours. I would mention a place I wanted to go. He would tell me about a site he wanted to see. On and on it went with each new idea adding to the excitement.

Fear shrank: Alone, fear wins. But with a friend, it's a fair fight. I hate to fly, as you now know, but I got over that fear with Curt's help--I should say nagging. Whatever the case, it's easier to do scary things with someone by your side.

Brains Doubled: He knew things I didn't know. I knew a few things as well. (Not much.) This is the most obvious perk of having a partner: he or she doubles the brainpower just by showing up.

Resiliency Grew: The benefits go on and on, but I'll end with one I found useful more than once during our trip. I am terrible with direction, so I got us lost many, many times. (I once got lost in the halls of my high school...as a senior.)

Such foul ups would have stressed me out or driven me crazy if I had been alone. With a friend, though, I was resilient. I had a voice of reason to calm me down. After zigging where I obviously should have been zagging, Curt helped me find my way without losing my mind.

When you work in a team, you can raise your friend's spirits when things go wrong just as surely as he can keep you from breaking down at the first sign of trouble.

These things aren't possible if you try to do it alone. So look around, choose a friend or someone in your family, and ask them to join you in whatever you want to do. If no one raises a hand, look for local groups or online clubs.

You're not alone. You're not the only one who wants what you want. You have only to search and the person you need will be there, waiting to support you.." 

And I will add, a real true support system should give support but also the "tough love" that may be needed  to get you on that “plane to success."

No comments:

Post a Comment