Saturday, October 23, 2010

Experimenting with Low-Carb Eating

As a professional nutritionist I’ve never been sold on hard core low-carb eating, especially for maintenance.

So I’ve done an experiment with myself. Keep in mind I’m maintaining, not losing weight anymore... (read my first blog of my weight loss story). I lowered my carbohydrate rate (about 155-200 grams a day) but I’ve kept them  mostly “healthy” carbs, about three servings of  fruits, five or six servings of vegetables, about three or four servings of whole grains (whole grain cereal like cooked oatmeal or small potatoes,  yams, and/or corn.  My healthy fat intake is about four-five servings (50 calories each, 5 grams of fat). I eat more servings of  lower fat protein than I used to, about nine to ten ounces. These are my daily servings..And I certainly don't deprive myself.now and then of my favorite cookies and/or dark chocolate  now and then.
.

So what I’ve discovered is that my tastes for sweets has diminished substantially, I feel satisfied and I hardly have any cravings (as long as I address my emotional needs appropriately). Note I only weigh about 125 pounds, I'm past menopause and I’m not overly active.)

I never thought I would adhere to this type of eating plan but it seems to work. New diet research is suggesting  higher protein might help declining muscle mass for those who are older and with my own clients/patients,  particularly women in peri-menopause, menopause and post menopause, a higher protein diet combined with healthy fat consumption might be a better balance. Readers what are your experiences with low-carb or high carb eating? 

2 comments:

  1. I lose weight and lower my blood sugar when I go on a low carb diet. I try to stick with high-fiber low-carb veggies, especially frozen veggies that can be steamed quickly in the microwave.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can see why. Even starchy vegetables have valuable nutrients including fiber which helps regulate blood sugar. Veggies are good carbs. All the processed foods full of sugars and fillers don't provide the body which much except things that stimulate insulin. Thanks for your input!-Elaine

    ReplyDelete